Monday, December 15, 2008

Chapter Thirty-Six: End of Year Celebration

Welcome to Saturday's "End of Year Celebration" which was basically a Christmas pageant and kindergarten graduation combined. This was the snazzy room in Exco where it took place. We had three hours of rehearsal before the performance which was nearly two hours long and followed by an hour of dinner. Looong day for the little ones.

Sharon's pretty jazzed about it.

The adorable backdrop.

"Really, you expect me to wear this?" say Kane's eyes. Nevertheless, everyone else in Mars can't wait to get dressed! Does this not remind you of elementary school plays that always involved wearing a white leotard?

Don't mess with these elves. Lookit Woody's badass face on the right.

Whatever they are doing, Eric, on the left, is horrified.

"Hiiiiiiiiiiiii!"

"For some reason, I don't believe this is Dior."

Yes, Christy, you can totally be a princess. That will get you all the princes.

Pluto getting dressed as elves. Not nearly as funny as Mars.



Here, Mars and Pluto perform "Winter Wonderland." Alas, no video.


Mercury's "Any Dream Will Do" was introduced by a little skit about what they wanted to be when they grew up. "I love pretty dresses and I want to live in a castle, but my friends say there are no princesses in Korea," says Christy. "I think you are smart and beautiful, any prince would love to marry you. Of course you can be a princess!" responds Nicole. "Yes, I can!"


Here are the three girls who want to be singers, serenading us. "Do you think we can be singers?"

Venus singing "Summer Holiday."

Pay attention to the adorable kissing at the end. "Ah!"


The last "Super Trouper" video I will ever post. I swear.

Each of the graduating classes put on a play that Arthur adapted for them. I continue to be impressed with his drama teaching skills. There were so many great jokes. Here, Uranus is doing Peter Pan. You can see two lost kids, Captain Hook, Smitty, and Peter Pan. Captain Hook, Dustin, was absolutely amazing.


"Joanne" (not enough boys), Michael, and Wendy singing a nursery rhyme.


Jully as Tinkerbell, throwing the mildest temper tantrum ever, walks out while Peter Pan, Tommy, and Wendy, Ariel, talk about the role of a mother.


In this one, just listen to Captain Hook's delivery. A-mazing.


Most of Uranus singing "Boom Boom Ain't It Great to Be Crazy" after scaring way Captain Hook.


The epilogue. "Happy endings make me cry!"


Mars and Mercury sing "Are There Any Cookies in the Cookie Jar?" There was a short period of time during which they thought I would have to dance with them. Luckily, that was sorted out because I would have been awful ("You are going to need a lot of practice, I think," responded Rosie).


Backstage, Jupiter is getting ready to sing "Playground in My Mind." Jake is yawning, but it looks like he is trying to bite Kelly's arm. Meanwhile Steve, behind him, is looking a little concerned about the situation.




Pluto's play, also adapted by Arthur, was The Wizard of Oz. I was running out of video, so I only have a little bit. This part with Rocco as the cowardly lion is my favorite. It matches his personality so well.



The whole cast singing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" at the end.


Backstage Uranus and Mercury get ready for "Animal Boogie" which was my least favorite song (see: poorly made rhymes and inability to fit lines to the meter) so I did not take video of it.

They were already so hot and sweaty from singing, dancing, and their Peter Pan costumes. "So hot!" was all Mike said to me the whole night.

"Please, no photos." Mars gets ready backstage in their adorable shiny pink costumes.

Kevin and Harry aren't nervous. They're just four.


What I love about this video of "Zippity Do Dah" is that Fita, all the way to the left, and Liam, in the middle, actually got the dance down. They were having a lot of trouble for a long time. It's also impressive because at age four walking up stairs is a major feat of coordination and these kids can dance!

Finally, we have some more elves--Jupiter and Venus--for "Santa Claus is Coming"


Just a clip.

Afterwards, we had a fancy dinner buffet. It looked like a wedding, seriously. It was in this huge hall, with white linens and covered chairs. Crazy! Nicole brings the class.

While the adults ate, mostly the kids ran around with big lollipops and made us nervous. Here's Stephen on a sugar rush.

Chris enjoyed the buffet style immensely, but he said he feels incredibly awkward at any function like this. I think I lost my ability to feel awkward since coming to Korea.

Tommy, from my second grade class, was there to cheer on his sister. He did a lot of running around, too. Chris, on the right, is the biggest ham and I love him for it.

This might be the single greatest shot of Liam ever taken. His eyes are OPEN. He has more to his face than just missing teeth. He looks like a little man! I am going to miss this one so much.

Back at home, I put the two roses I recieved from my students into my classy beer mug vase. Yeah, I've given up on cleaning since I will be leaving so soon. I'm in the process of packing as well.

Up next, "Extreme Abba Musical Chairs."

No comments:

Post a Comment