Friday, April 16, 2010

iTunes Recognizes You Are Lonely

I've been a big fan of the Genius feature on iTunes/iPod since it came out, even if it does give me "Gold Lion" by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs on every playlist it creates. It makes me question what kind of music I do listen to, in general, if these are the songs that it has decided are related to song X. I generally assume it relates songs based on artist, genre, and tempo. But today, my iPod seemed far too... sentient.

I put on Song X, which, I grant is kind of a lonely/broken heart song, but it's fairly upbeat and not by a band I would describe as music for the broken hearted. And yet, it's like Genius knew what the theme of the song was and provided me with 25 songs in various stages of heartbreak and moving on. Instead of a list of songs, I have composed a letter to "you"--whoever this heartbreaker may be, using the lyrics of the most melodramatic of the melodies on this playlist.

I feel like a fool so I'm going to stop troubling you, but I don't know who I am, who I am without you--all I know is that I should. I wish I could buy back the woman you stole. And I try not to worry, but you've got me terrified. I don’t know why but I know I can’t stay. No, this is how it works. I'll be the one who'll break my heart. I'll end it though, you started it. I can be alone, yeah, I can watch a sunset on my own. Take these rings and stow them safe away, I'll wear them on another rainy day.

Seriously, Genius, save it for when I actually get dumped.


No comments:

Post a Comment